Friday, June 30, 2006

Pike Fishing Rigs

My friend Mick wrote this about the setup he uses for pike:

"It depends on your personal preference as to what leader system to use. There are a few formulas out there, and I've tried a few. What I've settled on, is a straight 9' length of 40 to 50 lb. mono, which could be shortened to about 6' through successive fly changes, or retying after fish. it's ultra simple. I use a no slip mono loop as my connection to the fly. It allows a free swimming action to the fly, and can be tied in mono up to about 80 lb.

"Bruce uses 20 lb. wire with crimps. I don't like to have to-re rig when the wire kinks, but as I said, it's all about preference. If you want to use a tapered leader, I would just use the 60% butt 20% mid section, 20% tippet rule. If you want a knot-less leader, a regular bass leader will do. I'd cut off about a foot, and attach the tippet. I'm not that scientific about the whole thing."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home