Sunday, February 19, 2006

Time to catch up

You are your whole life to create your first blog posting and only about a day before you should create your second.

Lots has happened since my first posts. I got my flies from Ian Colin James. When I figure out how to upload photos, I'll show what bought.

At the Winter Hatches meeting on Thursday, I won the raffle for pike flies. Again, I need to show what I won. I was feeling lucky and really did well with all the flies I got for only five dollars.

On Saturday, I went to Le Baron and stumbled upon a big sale. No GST nor PST so I bought a bunch of stuff, I'll detail later.

But for now, I just wanted to say I watched a great episode of The New Fly Fisher featuring Bill Spicer fishing in Sault Ste. Marie. He gave lots of tips worth noting.

He talked about fishing the seams, the area between two different currents, typically where fast water and slow water meet. He also called it a "slick." He said to fFish behind boulders too. Any structure that will break the current will hold fish.

For casting, he said the down and across method is best on the river there, cast 45 degrees downstream and let it float down river.

For Sault Ste. Marie flies, Bill recommends light coloured egg patterns, black hair wing spey flies in brown or olive and black wooly worms. As always, it seems, wooly buggers work, olive, black, orange and chartreuse being the best colours. Dark colours work best in clear water, Bill stressed.

Bill added that presentation is more important than fly selection. This is something I am starting to believe is very true. Flies catch the fly fisher more than fish.

The geat that Bill recommended was a 6-7 weight rod with a weight forward floating line with a Sink Tip Line (10-12').

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home